Thursday, September 4, 2014
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
They're for keeping your key or some money or something in while you exercise. And it's a friggin BRILLIANT idea. And affordable. I'm on board.
But you know me, I'm gonna try to make one anyway, especially when I'm trying to use stuff up...
I had this "performance fabric" left over from when I ripped the bottom half of the legs off this pair of running tights. I also had a 3 inch zipper and a needle and thread.
Lo and behold, the zipper wristie:
In action, with a poor stunt double for a key.
There is no tutorial because I did this at night in about a half an hour while watching Whip It (which is STILL an awesome movie BTW). No pics, just improvising. And quite frankly, I like working like that. Documenting things is helpful to others, but it really gets in the way of inspiration sometimes.
I will still end up with one of the original Pocketbands eventually (or more, one for the car, one for going walking, one for going to the bar) (come on there's one with SKULLS) but this will do quite nicely for now.
Monday, July 28, 2014
Next up, I redid the camo pouch to be a side zip model. Tan lining.
Sunday, July 27, 2014
Sunday, July 13, 2014
Another T-shirt to tank top modification. This one came out much nicer than any of the others so far.
I had two pillows that needed recovering. I had some eggplant colored cotton in the stash, and finally sat down and got those done.
Last week I went to the fabric store, and came home with a long coveted camo skull ultra cuddle to make a blanket for when fall comes. It's long enough to tuck under my feet and still cover my head, so aside from being irritated at the binding not being straight (ultra cuddle MOVES when you stitch it), I'm happy. The colors are more saturated in real life, I just didn't feel like messing with Photoshop to make it look right.
Saturday, July 5, 2014
SO, here's a purple tank! It was different before, but didn't sit right, so the other night I cut and hacked and turned it into a cute crossback.
Friday, June 20, 2014
Without going into details that are no one's business, there has been some upheaval in my life lately. I'm just now getting to the point where crafting is starting to happen again.
But in all honesty, most of that is just tying up loose ends and tackling a mending pile the size of Texas. There's also some sorting and culling to be done.
Fun projects will come back at some point. Probably.
Monday, March 17, 2014
Top view, plus Fur-tastic photobomb:
I want to say this is ripstop nylon stuff, but I'm not entirely sure. It was a remnant, and I've long since trashed the detail label. Interior is cotton. Strap is cotton webbing. Large exterior pocket, smaller interior pocket, zipper closure.
I used a few of my new sewing machine feet for this so +1 XP for the crafting skills.
I won't say that it looks exactly how I expected, but I'm still satisfied with how it turned out.
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Monday, March 3, 2014
Saturday, February 22, 2014
I learned how to make origami butterflies.
I made a princess crown because I felt like it. I think I will be taking it to work so that coworker and I can take turns being queen of the room during our mandatory overtime next week.
Sunday, February 16, 2014
I had these two suncatcher prisms, given to me a long time ago. They've been sitting in a box.
I had this necklace, that I bought, and never wore, because brown and yellow just aren't me. But to be honest, I bought it because some of the beads were cool and I figured that if it didn't work, I could recraft it.
So I made two little loops to attach the prisms, and detached some links from the necklace. A jump ring on the end for hanging and POOF, beaded suncatchers.
Sunday, February 9, 2014
Monday, January 20, 2014
Sunday, January 12, 2014
I (mostly) finished off a little camo pouch. It still needs a closure, but I don't like the snaps I have and the only velcro I have is white, so when I finally get to the store, I will buy black velcro for it.
Also pictured is a keyfob, which became quite a pain in the butt when I tried to put it all together. I think I needed bigger twill tape. But it's done and functional. And I believe that is the absolute last of that peacock fabric.
I lined the Lotus Prototype, using an old shirt that was destined for the goodwill pile otherwise. And look, I even "styled" it. Not quite so eye popping now, eh?
And while I was "styling" I realized that keeping that cotton skin on the dressform full time might not be a bad idea. The fuzzy red stuff that is on the form is tricky to slide things over, and OMG RED. Which can be a pain in the eye/clashing with what you're making. So I redressed her top, and will probably finish that once I get some more plain cotton. (come on, remnant bin of fortune spin! big
I also discovered that finishing off crap goes much more smoothly when there is music. Especially my Reverend Horton Heat/Gothabilly channel on Pandora. I have my old computer speakers in the craft room, but it's a pain to plug them in when I want to use them. I've been looking at cute little bluetooth speakers as a treat to myself, but we'll see.
I also learned how to make origami stars. Needless to say, I raided all our wrapping paper to get sparkly stuff for the endeavor. Eventually I may string them all together into something.