Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Birthday Girl Goodies

Now that they've been gifted, I can reveal.  I made a reversible pinafore dress for the grandbaby.

I used this pattern from SecondSister, and it was super easy. The hardest part for me were the buttonholes, because that was a brand new skill I had to learn.

One side is butterflies (my favorite):


The other is daisies:



While I was at the fabric store, I saw some of the elastic ruched "ready dress" material, so I snagged a bit and made dress number two:


 And of course, there is a tiny tote to match, because if there's one thing toddlers love, it's putting stuff inside other stuff:



Happy 2nd Birthday B! We love you!



Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Brace Yourself

I got on a bracelet kick.



Made from waxed linen cord, "E" beads. I saw this on Pinterest, which led to this listing (which is no longer in stock, as with most of the stuff I like on Etsy). This one doesn't have a clasp, as it's easy enough to roll over my hand. I actually started it a while back, but got stuck on how I wanted to tie the beads, and sat and reworked it while we rewatched Red the other night.



Another Pinterest idea find. I really like how this looks. Leather cord & tube beads, 5 total.



This one was pure imagination. I bought the hammered rings for a different idea, but realized when I got them that I actually needed bigger ones for that (Always double check how big 16 millimeters is before you add to cart). So I had some wire and some beads and well, one thing leads to another...




Monday, July 8, 2013

Pattern Rookie

So one of the whole downsides of the "long torso" thing is that shirts are never right. Long sleeves are never long enough. Short sleeves aren't even long enough (CAP SLEEVES ARE THE DEVIL). And the whole shirt isn't long enough, because mama don't show midriff.  Even the shoulders are wrong, but in the opposite way. They're not wide enough in the back (SHE HULK MAD), but everything is cut too low in the front. WTF.

Anyway. So one of the whole reasons for buying the dress form was so I could start making my own shirts instead of modifying everything. Not that modifying isn't fun, but still.

So I decided that I would start out by making a tank, using a tank that I like as a pattern.  Sounds simple enough, right?

Insert snort of derision here.


So when I was tracing, I discovered that the front half of the tank I was using is bigger than the back. No big deal, I can see that's where it gets some shaping. I learn things when I look at stuff.




But apparently when I traced the back, I traced a little skinny, because once I had everything pinned together, it wouldn't even fit over the dress form's (and therefore my own) boobs.  Awkward.
And the fabric that I'm using is not as stretchy as the original tank.

SO.
Side panels to the rescue. Sort of. It was still really awkward after I got those sewn in.

So....back panel! Yep, I sewed a strip right up the middle of the back. It's not an obvious pattern, so it matches.




And now when you lay it flat, the back panel is the same size as the front panel.

It fits. But I'm still not happy with it.

So...I guess I'll just use the front piece of the pattern twice if I intend to make another. Which right now I'm not that keen on. I won't say it was a waste of time. But I'll sure think it.



Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Reckoning, part 1


So I cast on for this sock in November. 

It sat around a lot, but it did go to Arizona with me for busy work. So I finally decided to finish it off today.

Now it just needs a mate. So.... I'll probably have a pair somewhere around Christmas.