Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Kitchen, Part 1

~*~*~These home renovation posts were originally published on my non-craft blog, which is going away. I don't want to lose this content, so it's coming to live here on the craft blog, because renovations are crafty.~*~*~

The kitchen took a long time, but today's post is just about one aspect - the cabinets.



 The kitchen has some potential. The appliances are almost all new(er), the floor and the backsplash are ceramic tile. The layout isn't great, but it doesn't completely suck. BUT if there was one thing that I did not like about this house when we looked at it, it was the kitchen cabinets. Two words: Honey Oak. Bleeech.  Okay, that's three words, but I really don't like honey oak.  I wanted cherry.  So I decided I was going to refinish them.   Oh, and the drawers were all messed up.  Fortunately, one of my friends has a whole wood shop and helped me out with fixing them.

I had to decide how I wanted to do the color. I could do the traditional strip/stain/poly route, I could do a gel stain that would take forever to dry, or I could do this other thing that I found. I was surfing the web and stumbled upon Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations.  Two coats, a glaze and a top coat. I could handle that.

I bought the kit, read the instructions, pulled everything apart, set everything out, and got started.



The hardware was brassy and had to go. I picked brushed nickel knobs to go in their place, so I had to fill the top holes in each door. Then came the "deglossing" phase.  And that's where I jacked up my hand.  Ouch.  So that put me a few days behind, you know?  But finally, with the help of some latex gloves for the borked hand, I got back to work.

These are with one coat of color:




(and yes, we do know that the under sink area is disgusting. We still are figuring out how we're going to fix that, because contact paper by itself will not cut it)

I will be honest, at this point, I was skeptical. The color was weird and streaky and it wasn't quite as thick as I was expecting and I think I was hoping for better coverage with one coat.  Fortunately, it got better with the second coat.



The kit comes with a "decorative glaze" that's optional. I tried it on the back of one door and decided that it gave the color a nice depth, so then that meant I had to do ALL of the doors.  I'll be honest, at that point, I was tired of coating everything, drying, flipping and coating again.




And then there was a top coat. It's the consistency of Elmer's glue, and smells about the same. It also didn't dry as neatly as I was expecting, so I have some touch ups to do.

The hinges were fully functional, so I spray painted them to match the knobs I bought (spray paint is awesome).  I put my fun new cordless drill back into use to put everything back together and got this:









The color is way prettier in natural light, but by the time I finished it all, I was down to overhead florescent.  It really brings out the color of the counter (a kind of greenish gray) and goes well with the tile backsplash. Also, you'll notice the horrible ivy border is gone, because we're painting this all one nice color.



I'd have to say that overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out. You can still see the wood grain under the color.  There are a few spots I have left to fix, but they're overall good to go!


Originally published May 18, 2012

No comments: