The first thing that I knew I wanted to change about the dining room was the light fixture. I mean really, that thing is horrid. Also, gold switchplates? Really?? There was also the small matter of that hole in the wall with a live wire hanging out (it's just out of frame on the upper left side). No biggie, right?
How about this instead?
I really really liked the look of the giant Hogwarts tray of candles fixture I saw at Lowes, but it was a little too pricey. We settled on this one, and I really like it. There was a matching sconce for that fixture, but sadly, the sconce was ugly. So we found something cool and our family electrician rewired everything so that it was correct and safe and looks pretty darn cool.
The top half uses a same sand tone that is also in the kitchen (Moroccan Sand? Imperial Sand? I'll have to get back to you on that one). For real, one gallon did two coats on both rooms and I still have some left over. The base is a shade called Gooseberry. The base was a learning experience for me, as I've never painted anything that dark before. Four coats, people. Four. I used up every bit of two quarts on this.
The linoleum still leaves a lot to be desired, but we'll just have to live with that for now and maybe replace it down the road. Or find a rug. Either way, NOT a priority.
We are still debating whether or not to do vertical blinds on the doors. Only having experienced the ugly plastic kind found in the apartment, I am not a fan. We'll see if I end up caving in the face of the sun (but I have no doubt that door will become the new favorite spot for a certain pair of finicky felines).