Sunday, December 8, 2013
Sunday, November 24, 2013
Saturday, November 23, 2013
Sunday, November 17, 2013
Not the birth.(ew)
Not the flower.
Not the yoga pose.
The smock/camisole pattern.
Friday, November 8, 2013
Thursday, November 7, 2013
I'm actually super happy with how the shaping of these top pockets ended up. Despite the fact that I can't sew in a straight line. Thanks for magnifying that, accent stripe!
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Tutorials and process details will probably be scarce around here, at least for the foreseeable future. It's kind of a pain to remember to take pictures while I'm actually in a creative flow, not to mention I end up working and finishing things when there's really crappy light.
And...I'm not really seeing the point, either.
Why is that? I have received exactly ONE piece of valid (non spam) feedback on any pattern or tute I've created in all the years Craftykix has existed. Bitter? Meh. Realistic? Yeah.
So...I hope you enjoy seeing my end products, and if you'd like to see processes, SPEAK UP!!
Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Monday, November 4, 2013
And true to form, it didn't work perfectly. It would have if I had been using jersey that stretches like everyone else, but I'm doing some stash busting. I'm not sure what this stuff is, really. It's left over from a black dress I made WAY back in the day and has been traveling along unused ever since. It has some give to it, but not as much as a t-shirt, and when I tried it on, it was too tight at the bottom. So triangle insert panels to the rescue and now it's perfectly wearable.
Friday, November 1, 2013
Thursday, October 31, 2013
Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Sunday, October 20, 2013
Friday, October 18, 2013
Saturday, September 14, 2013
OMBRE: What used to be called "gradient" or "grown out roots."
UPCYCLING: What used to be called "making something else out of old stuff."
And now for the thing that's bugging me.
Pinterest is blowing up with everything chevron.
But you know what people? It is NOT a "chevron blanket." It has been and always will be a "Ripple Afghan."
Monday, August 26, 2013
Earlier in the year I decided that I had enough of the scratched and curling vinyl in the downstairs hallway. It looks gross and dirty even when you've cleaned it. So we went looking and found something else we liked, and then (there's always an "and then) it turned into doing both the hall and the dining room in Linkwerks Vinyl Plank Flooring. They put it in some of the newly remodeled dorms of the university here in town, and it's supposed to be super durable. It looks like wood, has a grain to it, but care like vinyl. Ok, that works for me. Aside from the color, I'm really not that picky about it.
So here is the dining room before:
The downstairs hall before:
It matches the stairs so well, I'm very pleased. Here, I took a REAL picture, too...
Are we done with changes? NO.
The kitchen floor (ceramic tile) has decided that whatever material is underneath is not good enough and has started to crack and shift, including one mouse sized chunk by one door that just floats because it's trapped under the threshold.
The roof and HVAC still need to be rehabbed/replaced. We've repaired the roof already, but it will need to be replaced in the next year or so. And this is the first thing downstairs other than the laundry room that has been touched. We don't really have a plan for those rooms, they're mostly acting as storage now.
One step at a time...
Friday, August 23, 2013
Thursday, August 15, 2013
The loop is a crocheted chain of some sort of thread I harvested from something thrifted a long time ago. Button from the magic button box of "ok, what did this come off of?"
I'm finding I like the look of top stitching more and more lately, not sure why.
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
I modified one of DH's old shirts into a tank for me:
Pretty sure it's required for all Central VA residents to own a UVA shirt, even if you didn't study there.
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Monday, July 8, 2013
Anyway. So one of the whole reasons for buying the dress form was so I could start making my own shirts instead of modifying everything. Not that modifying isn't fun, but still.
So I decided that I would start out by making a tank, using a tank that I like as a pattern. Sounds simple enough, right?
Insert snort of derision here.
So when I was tracing, I discovered that the front half of the tank I was using is bigger than the back. No big deal, I can see that's where it gets some shaping. I learn things when I look at stuff.
But apparently when I traced the back, I traced a little skinny, because once I had everything pinned together, it wouldn't even fit over the dress form's (and therefore my own) boobs. Awkward.
And the fabric that I'm using is not as stretchy as the original tank.
Side panels to the rescue. Sort of. It was still really awkward after I got those sewn in.
So....back panel! Yep, I sewed a strip right up the middle of the back. It's not an obvious pattern, so it matches.
And now when you lay it flat, the back panel is the same size as the front panel.
It fits. But I'm still not happy with it.
So...I guess I'll just use the front piece of the pattern twice if I intend to make another. Which right now I'm not that keen on. I won't say it was a waste of time. But I'll sure think it.