Saturday, March 17, 2012

Savory Roasted Chickpeas

A while back on Pinterest, I saw a recipe for "sweet and spicy chickpeas" which sounded intriguing. I looked it over - sugar and cinnamon. While that combination is usually a GO for this house, when I think chickpea, I think savory. So I figured out my own spice blend and did a test run the other week. When it came out good, I made a big batch today, and now I'm going to share it.



Ingredients:
2 BIG cans of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans or whatever you want to call them)*
olive oil (a few tablespoons should do)
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika

Open and drain the chickpeas. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while you shell the chickpeas. You just want that little skin on the outside to come off. You can usually pinch the bean at the pointy end and the bean itself will fly out of the shell. 

Spread the beans out on a baking sheet and stick them in the oven. After they've been in around 10 minutes or so, pull them out, move them around, and then put them back in for another 10. You want them to be crunchy at the end and if you don't roast for long enough, they will be soft and squishy. Keep an eye on them at the end of the 2nd 10 minutes. If they start getting dark brown, take them out.

Put them into a bowl and toss with the olive oil. Each bean should be lightly coated.

Add salt, pepper, the onion and garlic powders and paprika to taste. I will give you the advice that a lot of the grains will stick to the bowl and the baking sheet, so you might want to add a bit more of each than you think.

Put the beans (now well coated with spice) back onto the baking sheet and put them back in the oven. You want them to be in for at least 10 minutes.

You'll know they are done when they are starting to turn a darker brown and are nice and crunchy.

Pull them out, let them cool, and then enjoy.  





*When I say big cans, I mean the 15 ounce cans. The grocery store was very sneaky and hid the big cans in the Hispanic food section. And when I say sneaky, I mean that they had the small cans with the rest of the canned vegetables for $1.19 each, and the big cans in the other section for $1.29 each.  Don't let them fool you! (and pick up some canned chipotles while you're in the Hispanic section, because they make everything delicious)


No comments: