Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Trusty Old Friend

I've posted about Serge before, but I don't think I've ever talked about my regular sewing machine.

She's been with me a long time, but doesn't have a name.





I've had this machine since I was a teenager, which means it's at least 13 years old. My aunt gave it to me for Christmas one year. Knowing what I know now, it was one of those "prepare our niece for future home life" gifts which while I appreciated it, but didn't really know what I was going to do with it. It got used sporadically. Every once in a while I'd beg some fabric out of Mom's stash or hit the remnants bin (thrifty habits start early) and try stuff. It was all mostly experimentation with really weird stretchy shiny 70s-esque polyester (which by the way, I will NEVER work with again). While I had an interest in fashion, it never really became a designing tool, as I got busy with band and boys and other things.




It came with me when I moved out, and sewed the curtains for the kitchen in my first place.

As I've gotten older, I've found more projects and my own creativity, and she's become a vital component of the CraftyKix empire.

She's only got two kinds of stitches and three ways to be adjusted, but that hasn't stopped me yet. A little oil now and then and we're happy campers.





No comments: