Monday, October 10, 2011

Out and About

Saturday I had the chance to visit the semi-annual Crozet Arts & Crafts Festival, out in Crozet. I've missed the last 3 or 4 and wanted to make sure I went, just to keep up with what's going on in the arts and crafts world.

It was great weather for it - sunny and warm enough I didn't have to walk around in a bulky jacket, and didn't rain.

As usual there were tons of vendors. Lots of photography, woodworking, pottery and jewelry. I saw more quilting than I did the last time I went, and more garments. I'm pretty sure that I didn't miss anything, but I only saw ONE vendor with yarncrafted products!

I was really impressed with the presentation of lots of stuff. People didn't rely on the same old boring draped tables. There were things hanging, displays with shelves and baskets. One booth had the frame of her booth decked out with a crocheted tasseled border around the top and a lighted jewelry display case - classy! Another vendor, instead of using the usual velvet for displaying jewelry, laid her things out on trays of coffee beans! Very inventive.

As I usually do with craft shows, I made a tour of everything, then went back to the booths that intrigued me or had something I wanted. Yes, I did think a few times "I could make that*." I did get a few ideas, but mostly just enjoyed seeing what everyone else made. (Same thing happens when I cruise the crafts competition section at the fair.)

I try to buy things that I know that I won't ever make or that are completely spectacular. This time I bought a new star ornament. It's woodcarving, which is something that I am sure I will never try to do.


All together, it was a pretty good time. I'll have to try and get some company to go with me to the Spring edition!




*At a festival a long time ago, a vendor had a sign that said "sure you could make this....but will you?"

No comments: