Thursday, September 15, 2011

All Part of the Show

The other day I was browsing Craigslist as I do on a regular basis. I usually check the arts & crafts section, and the clothes and accessories (I admit, I am waiting for someone to get tired of the Coach bag I like).

I noticed a listing that said "crafters wanted" and of course clicked to see what it was. It was someone setting up a craft show. (I won't mention who or where, because a) it's not my intention to call them out for anything - and b) I don't remember exactly.)

They said in the listing that there would be multiple vendors including "Scentsy, Thirty-One, Lia Sophia, Longaberger, Pampered Chef, etc." They requested that there be "no more jewelry crafters" because they were full of that genre already.

A little background: when I was a kid, my mom took me to lots of craft shows. At our church every year we had a Christmas Bazaar full of things handmade by the ladies auxiliary. So to me, a craft show is tables full of crafters with handmade goods.

Scentsy is not a craft. Lia Sophia is not a craft. Yes, these companies are home based business opportunities, and an opportunity for people to make money outside of the irritation of a 9-5 job. I don't begrudge them that - I have many friends that sell for some of these companies and they enjoy it. That's great, I have nothing against it.

BUT it is not a craft. They may sell these things but they didn't pour them, weave the basket, stitch the purse or string the beads on that Lia Sophia. They are sales reps, essentially a vendor. If these vendors make up the majority of your craft show, it's not a craft show, it's just a show.


Friends, it is fall, and that means many small communities are having fall festivaals complete with craft fairs. Please do your best to get out and check out these events and support your local crafters!



No comments: