Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Trip to the Craft Store

So last evening, my errands took me to the Michael's. I had to get some ribbon, but of course, I'm not going to pass up wandering around a craft store, even if I am tired and kind of hungry. That's why they have the candy at the checkout, right?

They've redone their yarn section again, and I have to say I approve. Everything is now kind of organized by company, with the exception of the baby yarns, which are thrown on one wall together. The selection of sock yarns is low, though.


I saw a bunch of yarns that are new to me, and I'm kind of digging new additions to the Bernat line.

They've come out with Really Big which is really really big, like super bulky weight. I dig it and some of the colors, but I have no clue what I'd make out of it.

I also like their Colorama - it's big and SOFT. It's rated super bulky as well, but the Really Big is twice the diameter of the Colorama. I think I want to use that to make the white hat I want for this winter.

I did fall for the Mosaic, too. It seems to be their answer to Noro's colorways. I dig the Ninja colorway for the grays and purple and also that it's named Ninja. Because ninjas are awesome, that's why.

Enough yarn squealing, back to the store - I like the expansion and selection, but the notions were lacking. Maybe they were not entirely done moving everything around and stocking, but the needles and hooks were a row AWAY from the yarns - it took me a while to find them. And it seems like the selection is scaled back from what they used to have, too. They do have what seems to be the entire Crochet Dude line, which is cool, although pricey.

Even though the Michael's is in my least favorite shopping center in town (drivers there are AWFUL), I at least know they have more options if I'm project hunting. It's a nice change.

(Also, WTF is up with their website? You can rate products, but not buy them? What kind of mass retail store does not have a retail enabled website???)


Also, they have skully duct tape. :)






(By the way, I did not get paid by Bernat to mention them, I just dig their yarns. And if they'd want to send me some to review, I'd be all over that...)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Not a big fan of the Cville Michaels. We should take a trip to Hobby Lobby. Nice yarn selection.