Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gifts for Crafters 2010 edition

Guess what? It's Thanksgiving! That means tomorrow kicks off the Holiday gift buying season.

Do you know crafty people? Do you need to find a gift for them? Need some ideas?

(I still stand by my recommendations in my Gifts for Crafters posts Edition 1 and Edition 2)

What am I recommending this year?

-->Pinking shears. Somehow I have managed to be without a pair forever, and I don't understand how. Mom got me a pair for my birthday, and I love them. They're an essential for anyone who's trying to sew anything, particularly with finicky fabrics.

-->A dress form. It's on my wish list. I have a horrible time trying to find clothes that fit my oddly long torso, and I have high hopes of being able to make my own things without that frustration. I know I can't be the only one.

-->Storage. If you're following my Operation Organization on my other blog, you'll know that I have craft space mess issues. I'm not the only one. Give the gift of storage and help your crafter keep organized. Clear plastic see through bins, racks with drawers, shelves, it all helps.


-->Doris Chan (author and crocheter) just put out a post full of ideas for
gifts for those that crochet that I heartily agree with.


-->Have a high tech crafter? How about a Kindle or other reader to take patterns & books on the go? I don't have one, but I hear good things from people I know that do. Think about it - no giant books, no stacks of papers - all in one handy device.



I've been doing some perusing on Ravelry to see what the yarnies there are asking for, and one of the top items is a gift certificate to the yarn shop. You can shop locally if you're lucky enough to have a local yarn store, or you can go online to somewhere like WEBS or KnitPicks.


Probably the thing your crafter wants most? Time to craft! So go old school and make them a coupon for time. Say that you'll do the laundry or the dishes, pick up the kids, walk the dogs or whatever mundane activity they do (that you can do for them) that's taking up their creative time. Give with sincerity and allow them to redeem it without hassle or complaint. It will be MUCH appreciated.


I hope these suggestions give you some help. Happy Gifting!

No comments: