Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Spontaneous Crafting

So today I sat down with my serger and had a long overdue "hi, how've you been?" session. Yesterday I did the same to reinforce some seams something I'd made last year (pre-serger), and get a head start on a Christmas present. Today I worked on a prototype for something I might put in the store, and then made something for me.

Using the Grab It & Go pattern at Sewing Republic (owned by Bernina*), I made a wallet.

I didn't add a vinyl pocket on the outside (extraneous, and besides I don't have any vinyl), but other than that, I think it turned out pretty well.











It's small, but that's what I wanted. I want something I can stick my ID and a few bucks to put in my pocket when it's game day or something.


As for the pattern, it was ok. It was relatively easy to follow, but if you're going to print it out to use it, print it on a color printer, because trying to look at the pictures in black and white/grayscale does not help. At. All. There was an unfortunate seam ripping incident because when I went to layer the pieces together, I put the outside on the inside.

But other than that, I'd give the pattern a solid B+.






*Being raised halfway on a farm, I have to say I'm a little weirded out by the Bernina slogan "Nothing sews like a Bernina. Nothing." Which I find to be curiously like the John Deere slogan "Nothing Runs Like a Deere." Is the second "nothing" supposed to be the thing that escapes copyright infringement?

No comments: