Monday, March 23, 2009

Blast from the Past: The Cat-ghan

A long time ago (2001), I was living with my boyfriend of the time whom I now refer to as "Evil Ex" because he turned into pure evil.

Anyway...back before I figured out he was evil, right after we moved in together, I decided that I was going to make an afghan, in his favorite colors: green and black. I used granny squares, and what I believe are called Wagon Wheel squares, but I'd have to look at the motif book again to be sure.

This being back before I had access to decent yarns and before I morphed into the crafting maven I claim to be now, the entire thing was constructed from Red Heart acrylic.
(Not downing the red heart, but it's not really my preferred yarn...)

Anyway...this being the most crocheting I'd done since I'd gotten him, Joe would crawl on my lap and purr and try to eat the yarn. (He still does...old habits die hard)

So I finished the afghan, and Evil Ex wanted nothing to do with it, really. That should have been one of my first clues that he was evil. But really, even if he had wanted it, we never really got the chance to use it, because Joe adopted it for himself.



Yep. That's right. It became the cat blanket, by sheer stubbornness.



I've hung onto it through every single move because hey, that was a lot of work, it was my very first "real" afghan! And wherever we go, Joe must have his blankie. The last place we lived, when Joe took up residence under the bed, it was his nest.

Even when I pulled it out to spread it out and take pictures, he was perturbed....



"It's MY blankie, and don't you forget it!"

No comments: