Friday, January 23, 2009

Utility Crochet

It is my belief that crochet can be used to create not only garments and bags, but also thing for actual hardcore use.

I own a Mustang. I love my car, but things tend to roll about in the trunk. I was going to spend $25 on a manufactured net. Then I went to measure the trunk and found that there are no actual hooks or holes to use to attach said net. That, and I'd rather spend that $25 on something useful like yarn or food.

What's the crafty girl to do? Make my own!



It's black acrylic, left over from some project. Basic fishnet stitch making a stretch fabric seemed like the best way to go.

As for the mounting, that posed a quandary. As I stated above, no hooks, no holes. I ended up finding these 3M Command Cord clips. I was going to go with normal hooks, but these actually clasp back in themselves, and seem better suited for the job.



I mounted the net in the car today while it was warm. So far, so good.


(stuffed with my two tool bags and reusable shopping bags. One of these days I'll remember to take them into the store with me so I can actually use them...)

I have no doubt in the strength of the crochet. I think if there's a weak spot, it will be in the adhesive of the hooks. But hey, they're cheap, if I need to replace them, no big deal.

It's lasted all day so far. I'll check on the mountings again tomorrow after it's had a night of freezing temps, but I think we have a winner...

1 comment:

Michelle said...

GREAT idea! I used to have a Mustang, and I'm short. I had a terrible time trying to get stuff that rolled to the back of the trunk! I LOVE the command hooks. I've got the regular ones in my house, and they can even hold up to my 35+ pound kids standing on the curtains and stuff they're holding up! We also use them for backpack hooks for my girls.