Wednesday, August 27, 2008

hook books

I scoured the craft books at the library the other week, and the only non-creepy crochet thing I could find was Lily Chin's Couture Crochet Workshop. It was actually written pretty well. I learned about "killing" fabric, which is something I'd never heard of before, but I may be trying it on that crochet skirt I made a while back (the butt sweater). Actually, maybe not, as that's made out of Wool Ease, which is part acrylic - a.k.a. meltable.
Hmm. Perhaps steam blocking instead, because the bottom is curling up and I don't like it. Not that it's cold enough to wear it yet anyway.
Anyway - back to the book. The techniques were cool, but I did not see anything in the patterns that I wanted to make. Ah well.

I also actually bought a new book (for full price - hot damn!) too. I picked up a copy of Crochet Me by Kim Werker. There's a couple patterns I'm going to try - the mesmerize sweater, , cocoon bag, comfy cardi and the thigh highs, most prominently. I like the overall tone of the book. The website, however, is a different story. It's just my opinion, but I liked the magazine format better than the new "upgraded" "community" version. It seems harder to find things now, and half the patterns I wanted to see don't have pictures. That's just irritating to me.
But that's why I Ravel. :)


I'm saving up my money for the Crochet Liberation Front First Ever Book anyway. It's coming out this fall.
I'm actually really excited about this one - no "basics" explanations - we already know how! Just the patterns! Yay!


Anyway, less looking, more hooking!

No comments: