Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Inaugural Musings, or How I got into Crochet

When I was little, every Sunday afternoon after church we would go to my grandparent's house. We'd have lunch and we kids and mom would talk to Grandma and Grandaddy while Dad went to feed the cows and take care of farm things. Grandma almost always had a crochet project going, usually something like snowflake christmas ornaments for the church ladies craft bazaar.

She started teaching me to crochet, starting with some basic stitches, and then the granny square. I made my first granny square, and it wasn't completely horrible, but it was nowhere near grand. I'm not sure if I still have it or not. I had added to it and made it bigger for the cats to lay on, but I may have given it to Goodwill in the last move.

Every time I go back, I show Grandma what I've been working on. She can't crochet a lot anymore because of her joints, but she enjoys seeing what I'm doing. The last time I visited, she was working on a new ripple afghan to match her sofa.

So far the biggest project I've tackled has probably been the Unseamly Sweater from the Happy Hooker book.

I tried to pick up knitting starting about a year or so ago. It's been an okay trip. I've made two washcloths, and have dreams of doing something with cables, but we'll see about that. I'm still having a hard time getting both hands to coordinate with each other because I'm so used to the hook and going fast.

I also sew and do other crafty things. I have a tendency to fall in love with expensive fabrics. Every once in a while I get a chance to draw, too.

My creativity comes in spurts, so it may be a bit between posts, but it's always in the back of my head. :)

No comments: